Monday, February 15, 2021

MA - February notes on Redpolls 6 : exilipes

 

Hoary Redpoll (male?) - Whately, Franklin Co., MA. February 8th, 2021.
'Perfect' in many respects; minimal streaking on auricular and flank, and just a single 'pencil' streak on the longest undertail covert. 

Most of my luck with Hoary Redpolls last week actually came from the first morning with the Whately flock when I noted a 'promising' bird in the field but hadn't quite appreciated just how striking it was until I reviewed my photos at home. The bird featured here looks, to me at least, like a classic Hoary Redpoll, possibly a male A. e. exilipes.

Hoary Redpoll (male?) - Whately, Franklin Co., MA. February 8th, 2021.

Hoary Redpoll (male?) - Whately, Franklin Co., MA. February 8th, 2021.
I love the 'baggy trousers' effect and overall whiteness of the bird in this shot. 

Hoary Redpoll (center) - Whately, Franklin Co., MA. February 8th, 2021.
Taken at a different time in the morning but presumably the same male as in the three previous shots. 
The top right bird might also be a Hoary Redpoll (a female exilipes). 




No comments: