Monday, November 29, 2010

MA - Rusty Blackbird - 11/29 & 30






Rusty Blackbird - Gill, Franklin Co., MA. November 29th & 30th, 2010. Images taken using Panasonic Lumix DMC-F27 through the basement window.

Finally got the yard's feeders up and running again after a couple of weeks hiatus since returning from Israel. After a slow start on Saturday, activity and diversity picked up today (Monday) highlighted by the unexpected appearance of a Rusty Blackbird in late afternoon.

NB. The Rusty Blackbird was again present up to about noon on Nov 30th but not thereafter.

Also, a quick run down to Turner's Falls power canal once again produced the continuing Cackling Goose but also an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, both of which had been seen the previous day by Scott Surner, along with two Kumlien's Iceland Gulls.

JPS

2 comments:

Tom Pirro said...

I had a nice look at a Barred owl in West Boylston today, while checking a stand of Norway Spruce. It responded, by flying to me not vocalizing, while I imitated a screech owl. It was soon mobbed by Blue Jays and quickly moved on.

James P. Smith said...

Interesting Tom. I've also had some great responses from Barred Owls when attempting to imitate saw-whet Owls. All the birds have flown in silently and perched, sometimes for extended periods. Even if I don't see the Barred Owl they will sometimes give a 'heart-stopping' whistle-screech call often very close to me. Over the last year, I've unintentionally drawn in at least 10 Barred Owls using saw-whet imitations. Mark Lynch tells me that this is typical behavior for Barred Owls. Last March in North Quabbin, Brian Kane and I actually observed a Barred Owl attempting (unsuccessfully) to take a calling saw-whet which quickly retreated to a stand of White Pines.

I would admit to be fascinated by the whole owl thing!

Cheers,

James