Monday, March 3, 2014

MA - larks...buntings in Northfield 03/03

Tried a few spots this morning. All rather quiet with no sign of yesterday's Northern Shrike at Northfield Mt. Hermon School, nor any waterfowl of any kind on the Connecticut River at Bennett Meadow or Caldwell Road, West Northfield. I, however, did stumble across a nice flock of about 35 Horned Larks feeding along the edge of Caldwell Road before I reached the Connecticut River. The birds were very cooperative and foraged right alongside my car. I couldn't find any longspurs or Snow Buntings among them but later came across a fast moving flock of Snow Buntings as I left the area. I initially saw these birds in a yard right alongside Rt 142 in West Northfield but they were very unsettled and soon moved off.

Horned Lark - West Northfield, Franklin Co., MA. March 3rd, 2014.
Highly attractive species and perhaps the only 'expected' passerine in open agricultural fields in mid-winter. 







Snow Buntings - West Northfield, Franklin Co., MA. March 3rd, 2014.
Part of a swirling flock of about 30 birds.

No comments: