Tuesday, January 21, 2014

AZ - Sinaloa Wrenquest x 2 - 01/21

A real bumper day (at least for me!) for wrens in South Eastern Arizona. I began on the Anza Trail, Tubac for my fourth visit! After two bursts of harsh calls, the Sinaloa Wren finally put in a brief, though not very photogenic, appearance under the powerlines was heard no more. On to Fort Huachuca, where I'd heard that Arizona's 'other' Sinaloa Wren could be far easier to see. Fortune must have come my way because as I pulled up to the picnic area of lower Huachuac Canyon, I noticed a lone birder with that firmly fixed gaze on his subject matter. Sure enough, Roy Morris had just seen the bird and was kind enough to put me and another couple onto the exact location. Within minutes I was watching this true skulker foraging in leaf litter just feet from where its four admirers stood - and what a privilege it was. Delighted with the day's success, I then headed up canyon to hear and see a long staying, wintering Pacific Wren, rounding off an absolutely brilliant day. 






 Sinaloa Wren - lower Huachuca Canyon, Fort Huachuca, Cochise Co., AZ. January 21st, 2014. 


1 comment:

Linda said...

Your photos are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.