Wednesday, March 7, 2012

MA - Greater White-front in Gill!

After dropping Matan at nursery school, I started to drive a short loop around Gill as I do most days before heading back to the house. This morning I was pleasantly surprised to find about 120 Canada Geese feeding in the large corn-stubble field to the NE of Main and Munns Ferry Roads. The field is huge and the birds were distant, but a quick binocular scan produced a notably smaller bird - my first thoughts being Cackling Goose. However, scope views revealed it to be a fine Greater White-fronted Goose, my first in Gill. I immediately began to entertain thoughts that this and the bird I saw in Vermont the previous day were one in the same. It looked very similar indeed and like yesterday's bird, it appeared to show characteristics of the Greenland form A. a. flavirostris. Despite the distance, I still attempted, and came away with, a few digi-scoped record shots.




Greater White-fronted Goose - Main/Munns Ferry Road, Gill, Franklin Co., MA. March 7th, 2012.

No comments: