Monday, November 24, 2014

MA - Northern Shrike 11/24

If I was to list the top ten birds that I have most pleasure in finding locally, Northern Shrike would be up there at the high end of the list. This morning I came a across a shrike in a field on Main Road, Gill that always looked like it should produce one, and this morning it finally happened. Unlike my typical experiences with Northern Shrikes in the Pioneer Valley, this one put on a fantastic show, perching up in the leafless shrubs and careening about the field like it owned the place. I watched it for a solid thirty minutes and even had it perched up in the maples hanging over Main Road. It struck me as being outstandingly pale with a broad, clean cut white rump and extensively broad white outer tail feathers.









 Northern Shrike - adult, Main Road, Gill, Franklin Co., MA. November 24th, 2014.


No comments: