Monday, December 22, 2014

NH - Hinsdale waterfowl 12/22

This morning I happened to be passing the Hinsdale Setbacks on the Connecticut River. It's been a while since I've done any birding at all in New Hampshire and this spot is a mere fifteen minutes from our new house in Northfield. I dare say I'll be doing a bit more here over the next few months. Several years ago we lived in Keene, NH and spent plenty of time birding and hiking in this particular corner of the state. Needless to say, it was really good to get back and do a little birding if only for a few minutes.

My expectations were not high but I was pleasantly surprised by the range and numbers of species visible above Vernon Dam. Hooded Mergansers were by far the most common duck with over 100 present. Less expected were 2 Red-necked Grebes, 2 Long-tailed Ducks, a Common Loon, a Mute Swan and a Great Blue Heron. All of the water on the river was ice-free but I expect most of these species will disperse once the really hard weather arrives and the river freezes up. Still I was pleased with this haul and will try and get back again soon.

At Hinsdale the birds are often distant and I apologize for the grainy, heavy crops below;

Common Loon - Hinsdale Setbacks, Cheshire Co., NH. December 22nd, 2014.


Long-tailed Ducks (2) - with Hooded Mergansers, Hinsdale Setbacks, Cheshire Co., NH. December 22nd, 2014.


Mute Swan - Hinsdale Setbacks, Cheshire Co., NH. December 22nd, 2014.


Great Blue Heron - Hinsdale Setbacks, Cheshire Co., NH. December 22nd, 2014.


  Red-necked Grebe (one of two) Hinsdale Setbacks, Cheshire Co., NH. December 22nd, 2014.





No comments: