Wednesday, December 10, 2014

MA - Canvasbacks hanging on

It's been almost a week since I last saw the Canvasbacks on Barton Cove. I think I saw the male yesterday in the downpour but I just couldn't be sure in the poor conditions. This morning, whilst searching for post-storm birds, I came across them again tucked under banking close to the public ramp off  Rt 2. The group is now down to three and I suspect that one of our local immature Bald Eagles has developed a taste for Canvasback! The group had already been reduced to four when I saw an eagle in an active (but unsuccessful) chase on the Canvasbacks on December 4th. Two days ago I watched a young Bald Eagle eating an unidentified duck on a tire in the middle of the cove. So now it seems that we have just three Canvasbacks from the original five that first arrived on Nov 26th.



Canvasbacks - with Ring-necked Duck, Barton Cove, Gill, Franklin Co., MA. December 10th, 2014. 

Also at Barton Cove this morning, continuing rafts of Common and Hooded Mergansers with the former up to 60 birds strong. Passerines included Winter Wren, two Golden-crowned Kinglets  and a small flock of Pine Siskins along the campground road. After yesterday's Goldeneye extravaganza, the power canal was almost devoid of birds with just a handful of Common Mergansers and Common Goldeneye present - timing is everything at the power canal.

Golden-crowned Kinglet - Barton Cove, Gill, Franklin Co., MA. December 10th, 2014. 

No comments: