Thursday, March 13, 2014

MA - Canvasback in Gill! - 03/13

The forecast storm arrived overnight bringing a big drop in temperature, squally snow flurries and a biting eastern wind. Since waterfowl had clearly been moving over the previous few days, I headed straight down to Barton Cove to check for new arrivals. The first bird that caught my attention was a beautiful and unmistakable drake Canvasback in with the Ring-necked Ducks close to Riverview Drive. Although I see plenty of Canvasbacks on my trips to the western US, I've only seen a tiny handful in Massachusetts and this was my first ever in the Pioneer Valley despite actively birding the area since 2005. The bird looked content and settled though it could easily move out as the storm clears.

Overall, fewer diving ducks were at the cove this morning though 3 Greater and 3 Lesser Scaup remained.





Canvasback - male in breeding plumage, Barton Cove, Gill, Franklin Co., MA. March 13th, 2014. 
Unmistakable head and bill profile and 'white-backed' appearance. 

No comments: