Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Horned Grebe,Turner's Falls - 12/29

Horned Grebe. Barton Cove/Turner's Falls, Franklin County, MA. Dec 29th.

Another run up to Turner's Falls to look at the gulls. Ice conditions looked perfect for viewing roosting birds from Riverview Drive in Gill but sadly the main mass of birds didn't arrive until quite late (after 4:25 pm). Even so, I did have close views of 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls, a first-cycle Kumlien's Iceland Gull and more distant views of what I think may have been a first-cycle Nelson's Gull (Glaucous x American Herring Gull hybrid).

Slightly more surprising was a Horned Grebe just off Riverview Drive. I say surprising because I'm really not sure that I've seen Horned Grebe at Turner's Falls/Barton Cove. Virtually all my local sightings of this species have come from the Quabbin Reservoir usually during fall migration and I don't recall ever seeing one on CT River before today.







Lesser Black-backed Gulls - two images showing two different adults, this sleeping bird having much brighter yellowish legs than the other.

No comments: