Saturday, December 29, 2012

MA - Barrows Goldeneye - 12/29

With an hour to myself just before lunch, I decided to head to Bennet Meadow WMA, Northfield in pursuit of some Redpolls seen by Mark Taylor on Christmas Eve. The site is on the western bank of the Connecticut River, a mere 10 minutes drive north of our house in Gill and only just outside the Gill town line. As soon as I arrived I noticed goldeneyes on the river knowing all too well that they'd provide a major distraction from my redpoll quest. I spent the next 45 minutes with the goldeneyes and never made a serious effort for the redpolls though they appeared to be missing today.

The concentration of goldeneyes proved to be one of the best I've seen on the Connecticut with at least 85 Common Goldeneyes present in a loose group. Among them, a nice female Barrow's Goldeneye, the first I've seen locally for a while and certainly my first within this winter period. The birds were distant and the photos poor, but I really enjoyed watching them and listening to the whirring of wings as they flew past.

Barrow's Goldeneye - female (right), Connecticut River at Bennet Meadow, Northfield, Franklin Co., MA. Female goldeneye with largely orange-yellow bill, steep forehead, and bulky 'mane'. Very dark-brown head contrasting with whitish-gray breast.


Common Goldeneyes - Connecticut River at Bennet Meadow, Northfield, Franklin Co., MA. About 55 of the 85 birds present captured in this image.

Barrow's Goldeneye - female (second from right), Connecticut River at Bennet Meadow, Northfield, Franklin Co., MA. Female goldeneye with largely orange-yellow bill, steep forehead, and bulky 'mane'. Compare head shape with the surrounding female Common Goldeneyes.
Barrow's Goldeneye - female (extreme right), Connecticut River at Bennet Meadow, Northfield, Franklin Co., MA. Another record shot providing comparison with Common Goldeneyes.

No comments: