Monday, June 3, 2019

MA - Loggerhead Shrike in Turner's Falls!!

Loggerhead Shrike - Turner's Falls Airport, Franklin Co., MA. June 3rd, 2019.

Well I wasn't expect this - a Loggerhead Shrike at Turner's Falls Airfield! Found by Peter Gagarin just before 9am right at the exact spot where the previous evening I'd been watching an Eastern Meadowlark and some Grasshopper Sparrows with Matan. With spring migration tapering I wasn't expecting any new arrivals today, least of all in the form of a Loggerhead Shrike! An incredibly rare bird in Massachusetts nowadays, I think this is only the fourth that I've heard about in the state over the last ten years or so and of those, the first to be found in the interior. Thanks to Peter's prompt post I was able to join him at the site for 35 minutes or so, along with a guest appearance from Beth Finney who just happened to be working locally and couldn't have timed it better! A fabulous find for Peter - thanks to him for sharing his news in such a timely manner.











No comments: