Sunday, September 23, 2018

MA - Northfield Dickcissel


Dickcissel - Northfield Meadows, Franklin Co., MA. September 23rd, 2018.
Image appears courtesy of Josh Layfield. 

This morning I again headed south hoping to repeat Friday's success with Connecticut Warblers at Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary in Easthampton. After hearing a Connecticut Warbler call briefly in the early part of the morning I then ended up chasing ghosts for the next two hours and came away empty in terms of sound recordings and views. On the other hand, it was pretty clear that there had been a strong arrival of Lincoln's and White-throated Sparrows since my last visit on Friday. As I drove home I wondered how else I could have spent those two hours at Arcadia and became especially frustrated to learn that Eric Huston had found a Dickcissel in Northfield no more than a mile from my house! Fortunately, Josh Layfield was birding close by and in a position to chase, and was eventually rewarded with excellent views and some good record shots. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to try for this bird over the next couple of days but in the mean time Josh has kindly given permission for his images to appear here - many thanks Josh! Meanwhile, Brian Kane was busy simultaneously finding a Dickcissel of his own off Falls Road in Sunderland. So two Franklin County Dickcissels found on the same morning - not too shabby!


Dickcissel - Northfield Meadows, Franklin Co., MA. September 23rd, 2018.
Images appear courtesy of Josh Layfield. 

No comments: