Tuesday, March 17, 2015

MA - Bohemians come to Gill!

During my morning run in Gill I heard the bright, ringing calls of a Bohemian Waxwing on North Cross Road. I returned thirty minutes later armed with bins and camera and was delighted to relocate it loosely associating with a group of about 15 Cedar Waxwings foraging on Oriental Bittersweet. I watched the Bohemian for a little while before it suddenly lifted up and joined a flock of about a dozen passing waxwings (silent) which I assumed to be part of the same group of Cedars seen earlier. As the lone bird joined the flock I mentally noted that there didn't appear to be much of a size difference between the lone bird and the group. When I looked at the photos at home, the whole group showed the diagnostic chestnut undertail coverts of Bohemian Waxwing......fourteen of them in all!!

Once again, North Cross Road proved very birdy this morning with Common Grackle, Hermit Thrush, a dozen Eastern Bluebirds, 45 Pine Siskins and lots of songsters including  Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows.








Bohemian Waxwings - North Cross Road, Gill, Franklin Co., MA. March 17th, 2015.

No comments: