Wednesday, January 14, 2015

MA - Northampton shrike

Yesterday afternoon I called in at Arcadia Meadows Wildlife Sanctuary hopeful of catching up with a dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk seen there over the weekend. It was late in the day when I arrived and I didn't have any luck with the hawk, but I did find this smart Northern Shrike. It was actively harrassing Horned Larks and Snow Buntings though I didn't actually see it catch anything whilst I was there. It seems to be a decent winter for these denizens of the north and I'm pretty happy that I'm bumping into them so frequently.








Northern Shrike - Arcadia Meadows, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA. January 14th, 2015.


Snow Bunting - Arcadia Meadows, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA. January 14th, 2015.
One of about 20 being persued by the Northern Shrike above.

No comments: