Friday, October 3, 2014

MA - Say's Phoebe but alas no pics

A frustrating morning in many respects but somewhat exciting in others. The fog was just about lifting as I walked out of the Stop & Shop in Greenfield. I heard a call that I knew well from many trips out West. It was the distinctive but plaintive 'pueeee' call of a Say's Phoebe. Initially I looked for a perched bird but it sounded mobile and I soon picked it up circling the parking lot calling constantly as it flew. It circled the lot about three times behaving as though it had just been flushed and wanted to re-settle. I last saw it heading toward Rt 2A and Silver Street. With my hands full of groceries I could only think about the images I could have taken with my Canon 7D and 400mm waiting to be used just meters away in my car!! The time was about 09:11hrs and the observation was over in just a few seconds though I may have heard it calling once more about 15 minutes later.

Further frustration came when I arrived at the fully drained Turner's Falls power canal only to hear and then see a Semi-palmated Plover departing south bound, a bird which I think had been flushed by the survey crew working inside the canal. However, the bike path side of the canal at Depot Street was full of birds including hordes of sparrows with as many as six Field Sparrows, along with Song, Savannah, White-throated, Swamp and Chipping Sparrows, Indigo Bunting, Eastern Towhee, Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers, Common Yellowthroat and at least half a dozen Gray Catbirds - very birdy indeed. I'm sure a more dedicated effort would have produced more.

Field Sparrow - Turner's Falls bike path at Depot Street. One of about six present.

 Eastern Phoebe - Turner's Falls bike path at Depot Street. If only this morning's Say's Phoebe had co-operated like this!


 Common Yellowthroat - Turner's Falls bike path at Depot Street. 


Common Merganser - juvenile, Turner's Falls bike path at Depot Street. 

2 comments:

Larry said...

What a great bird and so disappointing to not be able to use the nearby camera!

Nick Bonomo said...

James, awesome bird. Also, congrats on the recent camera purchase. I see from your Cape May warbler flight shots that you're already putting it to fine use :)