Wednesday, January 22, 2014

AZ - Mexican Chickadees - 01/22

Today I headed for Willcox hoping for longspurs and found plenty of them. Perhaps as many as 300-400 Chestnut-collared Longspurs came into during the two hours that I was there. Unfortunately for me, they never settled so after a couple of hours I gave up chasing ghosts and headed for the mountains. In fact, it was my first visit to the Chirichahuas in about three years, a sobering experience to say the least with the devastation from the great 'Horseshoe Two Fire' in 2011 still very much in evidence. Birding was slow until I reached the snow line just below Barfoot Junction where I found a nice party of about 8 Mexican Chickadees closely associating with a feeding flock of Bushtits and all three expected nuthatches, and both kinglets. On the descent towards Portal I came across another similar sized flock of Mexican Chickadees along with two female-type Cassin's Finch, rounding off a magnificent drive through Cave Creek Canyon with a Townsend's Solitaire in the valley bottom.

Chestnut-collared Longspurs - Cochise Lake, Willcox, Cochise Co., AZ. January 22nd, 2014. 



Mexican Chickadees - Barfoot Junction, Chiricahua Mountains, Cochise Co., AZ. January 22nd, 2014. 


Cassin's Finches - two individuals, the lower bird being darker with heavier streaking and closer to Purple Finch in overall appearance. Chiricahua Mountains below Onion Saddle, Cochise Co. AZ. January 22nd, 2014. 


No comments: