Thursday, December 19, 2013

MA - Turner's Snow Bunts - 12/19

Snow Bunting - Turner's Falls airfield, Franklin Co., MA. December 19th, 2013.

This morning I  passed by Turner's Falls airfield stopping for an optimistic search for Snowy Owl. After a few completely bird-less minutes I decided to play a few bursts of Horned Lark song, again optimistically. Literally within seconds, a flock of about 60 Snow Buntings came charging across the runway and were soon swirling around my head before settling down in a hollow about thirty meters away. It happened so quickly that I wasn't fully prepared with the camera but fortunately the buntings continued to show (on and off) for the next fifteen minutes or so. I was really pleased with these as, aside from a couple of single fly-overs earlier this fall, it seems to have been a rather low-key fall and early winter for this species locally. Oddly, I couldn't find a single Horned Lark or Lapland Longspur among them.







No comments: